template renovations

The first day of Summer brings with it many changes, not least of which is a brand new blog template...

I've been wanting to update the template properly, go over to the fully functional world of Layouts... plus now that I have the extra-wide screen on my laptop, it did feel like I was wasting a lot of real estate... plus there were older posts that people just wouldn't have been able to find since I didn't have an "Older Posts" button on the old layout... but I could never work out how to hack the template sufficiently so that it looked the way I wanted it to.

Of course, this being the interwebz, if you've thought about doing something, chances are that a bunch of other people have already thought of it and posted the results online...

So after a couple of false starts I happened across Our Blogger Templates... found one that pretty much matched what I was looking for, threw one of the street art shots from Melbourne into Photoshop and then proceeded to fiddle around with the template until I got it the way I liked it...

goldfish templateVoilà... the Kung Fu Goldfish template (actually it's not Kung Fu at all, but that just sounded good)...

It did entail some down and dirty CSS hacks and movements and deletions of things, but on the whole I like it.

But since this is only the second time ever that I've made a complete and radical change to the template, so there may very well be some tweaks and changes in the next week or so while I settle into the new look and twiddle all the knobs, fill in the stuff that's missing and suchlike...

Current Mood:

3 comments:

Tom said...

Very smart! Bring back your trademark yanicon smiley face with the earring though! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's very nice!!

yani said...

The icon may have to wait until the Autumn template Tom... I just can't find a spot in the header where I think it looks 100% right and doesn't detract from the fishy... if I can work something out though I'll sneak it in there...

Thanks Lacarian :)